Sunday, October 12, 2014

How to Use a Flying Geese Patch

I love the Flying Geese patch. Makes for a wonderful patch if you need points...like for a star! Eleanor Burns has the procedure that I like the best and think works the fastest. I bought her templates and get 4 sizes of Flying Geese out of the two templates. Cool thing is...one Flying Geese piece, makes 4 Flying Geese patches!
Flying geese patch is my favorite way to make a star......you can watch Eleanor Burns make them in this video...Orion's Star   from the Quick Trip Quilts Series 3100 is a good video for learning and using the Flying Geese patch.

A few quilts I have made using the Flying Geese template and patch

The points of the stars are all made using the Flying Geese patch. Now, granted, you could also make these star points using Half Square Triangles, but less sewing with the Flying Geese is quicker and easier! The "special" thing about this quilt is that the stars are made out of fabric that has the various constellations on it.. and those stars glow in the dark! The fabric is made that way! Pretty cool, huh?!!




The stars are made with Flying Geese 3" size. Each star is made out of four flying geese patches
The rest of the flag is made with the 5" tumbler template to make the "wave" effect.

These stars are made with Flying Geese template 3" size and the finished block is 6" I used one print for the points of the star and another print for the center of each star. For this quilt, there are 20 star blocks, 4 each of 5 different print combos.










This is Eleanor Burn's Quilt in A Day video for making flying geese. So far, for me, this is the easiest and fastest way to make them! In this video she shows you how to make the flying geese patch and use them in a quilt
How to Make a Flying Geese Patch video with Eleanor Burns

I love her Flying Geese Templates and have the large and the small. Each template makes 2 different sizes of Flying Geese patches! Just think, four different sizes of a star with these 2 templates!




Thanks for stopping by and...keep on sewing those memories!
 

This post shared on the "linky of the day" as noted in the page option above!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts! I didn't know Flying Geese could be used to make stars, that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love that flag, great idea with the tumbler!! Would you mind if I make one as a table runner size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheri...I'm returning your visit and added myself as a GFC follower! Nice to meet ya. :)V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently watched EB and her flying geese tutorial. Love the look! And your quilts are lovely. There is just something about star quilts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute flag and I like Eleanor Burn's templates too! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do my flying geese just the same. Great method and cool tool as well. BTW. The flag quilt is amazing! Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flying goose block is so versatile. I have that ruler, I need to use it. Thank you for the reminder.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really neat constellation quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely projects, Cheri! Thanks for sharing your quilting with us at Make It Monday. I'm sure you inspired some people today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! One of these days, I am going to learn how to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never attempted a full-sized quilt and have only worked with nine-patch designs. This is lovely - The flag is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohhh love the idea of less sewing :) Thanks for sharing how to make these flying geese patches and your examples. I love that glow in the dark stars! That would be such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the glow in the dark constellations stars! What a great idea- who wouldn't love to have that on their bed and look at it as they drift off to sleep? Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello cute lady! Beautiful. Pinned. We couldn't think of anyone better to party with. We hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the tip on this product. Sure looks easy!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Craftsy