Thursday, May 24, 2018

Chunky Monkey Recycled Part 1..."Purple"~

Remember when I made this HUGE chunky monkey junk journal?  I use a cereal box for the cover/spine and it is 8.5"x11" paper folded in half and tea stained. 5 hole pamphlet stitch spine.


 I filled it with my memories of my childhood (the little bit I remember after all these years) and memories of my kids and of my grand kids. I added places I have been, other family members, songs that meant something to me, pictures..and other things on paper that meant something to me or held a memory.


 It had 6 signatures. I made each signature with regular printer paper but the heavier 32lb kind.. and stacked 6-9 papers, folded the stack in half and the middle was where I tied the spine. Each signature had about 24 "pages"...meaning front and back of say 6 papers. (I forgot how many exactly!)
Well, my problem was... when I would open the journal to write in it...it was so thick and stiff I couldn't open it enough to get the pages to lay flat enough to write on. I was loosing about 1 inch of writing space from the center in. Plus, it was hard to get journal cards etc in and out of pockets. What good is an interactive journal if it won't interact with you!

So, I broke the journal down into 2 journals with 3 signatures each. Turned out really nice. I now have these......
I used the same lace and lace flowers from the original journal and just put one one each of these and cut the lace in half. Worked out great!  I was also surprised at how quickly I was able to make the covers with cereal boxes. They are pretty easy. And I did a 5 hole pamphlet stitch to bind them. Now, they open just nice and easy to write on the pages and use the pockets and tuck spots.. be interactive with it!
One of the things I did make sure to do was...I left about 1/4-1/2 inch of space between each signature. Believe it or not, that little bit of space makes a difference and allows the pages to lay more flat, which makes it easy to write on the whole page and not waste any space, and make it look right and also opens enough to let the tags and letters and things I put in it, be  able to be pulled out, tucked in and ...interactive!

I did a video flip through of it... It is on my YouTube channel "Junk Journals to Hold Your Memories" If you'd like to watch the flip through. It is about 5 minutes...not very long. It shows you everything, and I don't chatter away about what you already know! I just "flip through" the pages and mention a thing or two!

Hope you enjoy it and also...grab some ideas for your own junk journals! I have the "other half" of the journal to download so if you want to see that one.. or just follow as I post...subscribe to my channel!  And if you would....give me a thumbs up and leave a comment! Thanks for watching!


Thanks for stopping by and...keep on preserving those memories!

Want to read more at Fabric and Memories? CLICK HERE

This post is linked to the Linky Party for the day. Click on the "Daily Linky Parties" tab at the top of my page and " join us!

1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Craftsy